Sunday, August 1, 2010

ISOmetrics!

I've recently noticed a drastic drop in the quality of photos taken with my camera (aka, the love of my life) and I've kinda been bitching about it non-stop to anyone and everyone around me. I'd almost resigned to the fact that my camera was finally dying of old age (well it IS almost 5 years old) or perhaps just reached early retirement since I dropped it and smashed the lenses last year on new year's eve.

But finally, while I was googling newer camera models online last night (haha yes I was actually planning on replacing poor mully), I came across this whole ISO thing which opened up a whole new world for me! Apparently, I've been using the wrong ISO settings for the past few months!!! AND APPARENTLY, I've been using my camera for 5 years without knowing anything about ISO settings!!! (Fyi, I'm using a Canon Digital IXUS 860 IS)

So here's the dealio. High ISO settings (such as ISO 1600, which I'd been using unwittingly) produces photos with a lot of noise (noisy photos = grainy photos) so I should have been using lower ISO settings (such as ISO 200) to get clearer pictures.

And to demonstrate, I took some pictures of my various girlfriends. Notice the difference:

ISO 1600: Grainy

ISO 100: Gorgeous!

ISO 1600: Grainy

ISO 200: Gorgeous!


And just to be extra clear:

ISO 1600: Not bad..

ISO 200: AYE CARAMBA!!!


Can you see the difference?? Haha Kareena approves!

I'm not sure if any of you will be benefiting from this info, but I'm just totally psyched that my camera is working great again!

No comments:

Post a Comment